Saturday, July 9, 2011

365 Pictures 3 - 9 July 2011

Hi,
Made it back from our Joplin Mission trip last night.  It was a great time.  I was able to do some physical work for 2 1/2 days, then my head started to bother me so I moved indoors to do some lighter work.  So here is my week.

Sunday 3 July 2011
My church had another evening worship with cake & ice cream outside to celebrate the 4th a little early.  This is our youth praise band leading worship.  They are missing two members, lead singer & bass player who were gone to camp or on vacation.  Our youth pastor filled in for the bass player he is on the far left

Monday 4 July 2011
My husband put his new deer cam by the food plot he & my sons made.  Here is a female turkey & one of her babies eating in the food plot.

Tuesday 5 July 2011
Today started our mission trip to Joplin.  We left around 1:00pm & got there around 5:00pm. The next 4 days are some highlights of that mission trip, but I will post a blog about it later, after I get my first mission trip of this summer blogged.
The devastation & destruction was very over whelming.This was an apartment complex.

Wednesday 6 July 2011
This is the living room of a 79 year old lady.  Her house was right on the line of where the destruction started. If you went out on her front porch & looked left you saw the destruction like in the picture above, if you looked right everything looked fine - maybe a couple of broken windows or torn roof but looked like damage from a strong wind storm not a tornado.  She had damage done to her roof, cracks in her walls in her living & dining rooms & backyard fence torn down.  We repaired the cracks in the wall & repaint both rooms.  My husband & some other me first fixed the fence & then came inside to help with the painting.  This project took two days.

Thursday 7 July 2011
We drove past this every day.  This use to be a Burger King & the only thing left standing was the kids' play area.  I guess that proves they make those things to last.

Friday 8 July 2011
This is where I worked Thursday afternoon & Friday morning.  Helping people get supplies & listening to them tell their story if they needed someone to talk to.  This is the baby section where we past out clothing, food, diapers, wipes, etc. etc.

Saturday 9 July 2011
This is Lesley & her daughter Karyssa.  I mentored Lesley through high school & some college years.  She became my adoptive daughter & calls my husband & I - Mom & Dad.  We lost contacted with her three years ago, but recently have found her again.  We are now grandparents.  Karyssa May was born 
May 16, 2011
Meeting my granddaughter for the first time.  Karyssa & I got along great.

Family - my adoptive daughter Lesley & my new granddaughter Karyssa.

Well that is my week, it was awesome, tiring & rewarding.  Can't wait to see what the next week will bring.
Hope all of you had a great week, can't wait to see your pics.







6 comments:

  1. so glad you said "baby turkey" or else I would not have seen it!!!

    Our church sent a bunch of stuff to Joplin..one of our members used to live there. her pictures were devastating.

    what a beautiful baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I guess those of us with kids young enough to play on those play structures should rest easy that in the even of a tornado the structure will not fall in on them. :)

    Congrats on the new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that devastation is crazy. it's good to see that the play structure is constructed well enough to withstand a tornado. congrats on the new grandbaby

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what an opportunity to go serve in Joplin. glad you were able to go bless that area!
    may 16 is my birthday!! so happy you got to reconnect with that part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a busy but wonderful week! I have an aunt and uncle in Joplin but their house came through the storm okay. He told me when they drove around a few days later they could not believe it. I'm sure the 79-year-old woman appreciated all your help! As did those who came to the distribution center. I love seeing how God's people reach out and help in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those of us unaffected by all of the recent storms forget how long it takes to recover form a disaster like that!

    Blessings for all your hard work.

    What a precious reunion with your daughter, adopted or otherwise, that sweet baby is too cute! I know you will enjoy her!

    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete